View Single Post
Old 11-19-2005, 06:55 AM

Default Re: Morality and Evolution

I am not sure about this post. Evolution, afaik, has to do with speciation, not with behavioural patterns. There may be an evolution of behavioural patterns but lets not confuse that with the theory of evolution. Enough garbage has been thrown at it, trying to muddy the waters.

In response to your question, I am not sure, but what I am certain of, is that civilsations have evolved and come and go. It may be more interesting to ask questions in relation to civilisations rather tahn species. Also in this way we are not neccesarily bringing in a teleological perspective (no objective or tendency to perfection or an end), don't perceive evolution as being at it's peak (ie current somehow "better" than the past ones), but as an on-going process where every differentiation that is succesful, in turn is replaced by another (maybe even regressive) that is better adapted to the condition of that particular time.

I am fairly certain that morality has a lot more to do with civilisation than species. It is after all an intellectual justification or code of conduct. A baby or early infant does not display any morality, on the contrary.