View Single Post
Old 09-08-2005, 05:54 AM

Default Re: Pulled a muscle in my neck

I think that sleeping wrong is just the straw that broke the camel's back a lot of times.

For instance, I'm kind of addicted to coca cola. Or, I used to be, I rarely drink it now. Anyway, for 20 years or so I drank it like crazy and the constant caffeine, even when I went easy on it, built up and took a while to clear out of my system. I'd be moving and suddenly WHAM! a piercing pain would zap my neck and it would be very painfully stiff, sometimes for days, as the stiffness would make all the other muscles around the neck tense up too, which just made the neck tense more!

Anyway, sometimes I would feel fine but got to the point where I could tell I was just carrying too much tension in my neck and I was in danger any moment of having my neck get really bad on me. When that happened, often the next day I would wake up with a totally cranked neck.

I'd definitely lay off the caffeine when this happens to you. Whether you realize it or not, it tends to increase tension in the neck, including where it meets the bottom of the skull. I find once that tension starts, it's very hard to keep it from getting worse rapidly.

I'd drink lots of water and try to flush the caffeine out of your system, if you put much in there. No sense giving your muscles the ammunition to tense up and make things even worse.