View Single Post
Old 10-22-2005, 02:12 AM

Default Re: Adjusting Implied Odds when a Maniac is in the hand

[ QUOTE ]
Or, a possibly boring preflop question. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Reads: UTG is a loose/passive & starts the hand with just over 11 BBs. MP1 is a LAG table coach. MP2 is unknown, but his screenname begins with "LAG"...I take this to mean he's tight/aggressive & possibly a 2+2'er. MP3 is a complete & utter maniac that I've played with many times before--if he's raising preflop, he will not stop raising until the river no matter what he's holding or what the action is like. He's already blown through at least 1 buy-in at this table, so I know everyone else has my read on him as well. I'm finishing my first orbit at the table, and have played one prior hand (losing with AK vs. MP1's K8).

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero...?

Ordinarily this is a no-brainer fold to a 3-bet, even if I know the 3-bettor is F.O.S; I can't guarantee that the limpers will continue to the flop, nor can I be sure that MP2 won't cap. But do the implied odds when I hit a big hand justify the preflop call here, knowing that the maniac will keep betting &amp; raising and the rest of the table will be less likely to fold, given his image?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the exact same situation today Harv. I was 2 seats to the left of a 96/40 and in between us was a 40/16. Of course, maniac raises and lag 3 bets, I held JTs. I went ahead and mucked but hated it. Most of the time when I get in a hand like that with those types of players, I'm thinking showdown almost immediately unless a ridiculous flop comes. Given that fact, I think we're better off waiting for the bigger cards to go to war. I happened to have like a 12 vpip for the session and down $200 after QQ lost to T4 and the list goes on. Anyway, those were my thoughts at the time, and I still like my fold.