Thread: 88 hand
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2005, 02:16 PM

Default Re: 88 hand

No one's going to answer this because we all hate it and don't know what to do.

This whole hand is linked together. If you had folded the flop I wouldn't criticize. It's going to be an expensive hand to play because of the uncertainty and the player behind you is a major danger. But calling the flop is reasonable too.

After you called the flop two really good things happened: BB folded and you avoided an overcard on the turn. Just by comparison calling the turn looks better than calling the flop.

A feature of this deal is you don't know who has the made hand and who has the draw. I'm sure if you had both Villain wouldn't be pushing his hand. There is a large risk that Villain has both and that means you need a significant overlay to keep playing. 6.5-1 isn't good enough to call the turn strictly as a draw. You need additional pot equity from sometimes having the best hand.

That makes it hard to understand folding the river on a blank. In isolation this may be the correct decision, but the implication is that you don't believe in your hand in which case you should have folded the turn. Stepping back again, to fold the turn after getting so much luck means you should have folded the flop too.

So overall I don't think your play of this hand hangs together.