View Single Post
Old 09-21-2005, 09:25 AM

Default Re: Should i continue with online poker career or return to 9-5 job?

Paul, my post was meant as a cute joke, given the situation. However, since I had a full time job with full benefits (until I quit a week after winning the WSOP), my wife had no problem with my playing poker as a 2nd job. If I had quit Pfizer before winning the WSOP and played poker full-time instead, she would have had a huge problem with it. But she had no problems with what I was actually doing at that time, as poker winnings had done a lot for us, including putting up the downpayment on our house in CT.

I have no significant advice for you. Doing what makes you happiest is too simplistic to be really useful advice. Of course, your happiness is a big part of the answer, but it is not everything. If it was everything, then there is no give and take in your marriage. And even if your wife was going to be happy with you doing whatever maximized your own personal happiness, that's still not an option anymore when you have kids. They deserve consideration as well.

Thus, you have to balance what is best for them, with what is best for you alone, and make a decision. It's going to be a tough decision, and I don't envy you the task.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)