Thread: The Wall
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2005, 12:08 AM

Default Re: The Wall

[ QUOTE ]
You have to bet the flop. I am unsure about following through on the turn though. I think you probably should do it. Once he raises, you have about 7 outs, so I think you can peel. It's close though, as occasionally your A outs are no good, or you don't collect bets from him on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, the flop bet is automatic. We're looking pretty good here and he'll peel with overs/tweeners a lot.

%%
I'd like to add to the thoughts in the original post.

I do see this move a lot from aggressive players, and I'm sure it's crap or a semi bluff (even overcard semibluff) too often to always let Villain take the pot when I don't improve. So I don't think it's a good idea to just be a good little boy and always fold with ace-high on the river or even fold our gutshot on the turn. On the other hand, the turn is difficult BECAUSE villain will nearly always** punish us with a better hand. Against this player a turn bet is probably -EV, and I suspect it is a big leak if we always fire a second barrel.

If I am so paranoid about being bluffed I guess I should just check-call the turn and river some of the time and show em and check-fold the river most of the time. When we check the turn though we basically announce we don't have a pair and villain can confidently bet the turn with just about any two. I am comfortable check-folding the river against a TAG or even a LAGTAG type but less so against lags/dumber/more relentless opponents because they have great followthrough on their bluffs.

Basically these spots suck because we think we may have fold equity and our first instinct is to semi-bluff the turn. But since we have something to go along with our bluff we usually have to call a turn raise which happens frequently, cancelling out the value from our fold equity.

Passive play out of position really sucks in HU situations though. HU is often a pissing contest with both sometimes pushing hard with nothing. There is a big edge to be gained in winning pots when both have exactly squat. Position and initiative are the two keys here.

I have not decided which line I like better. I hate poker.

**This has a lot to do with reads but I think most players tend to pop us on the turn in blind battles because they think we are f.o.s. and want to stick it to us real good to discourage further stealing.