View Single Post
Old 07-28-2005, 01:42 PM

Default Re: HOW DO YOU PREVENT TILTING

[ QUOTE ]
Like I just flopped a straight and I put this guy on a set then the board was running 3's on the turn and river and I knew he just hit a set and rivered a boat but I check called him anyway cause I was pissed off

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing wrong with the way you played this hand. (Except you should have called because you had the X:1 odds, not because you were pissed off.) He'd have to turn his cards face up for me to fold here. I don't know how big the pot was, but you will get shown a two pair or something often enough against most opponents to make laying down the straight a big mistake. Besides, getting a straight beat by a set that fills up isn't really a bad beat. The guy with the set is behind, but he has 7 outs on the turn and 10 on the river to beat you. He was almost certainly correct to stay in the hand (In fact, he should have been raising. He had a very strong hand with a very strong redraw if behind and he didn't know you flopped a straight.) He has more outs to a better hand than somebody with a flush draw or an open end straight draw. I think you have a lot to learn if you want to be a winning poker player. I would guess that a lot of the "bad beats" that put you on tilt aren't really bad beats.

On the general tilt issue: Beats (bad and otherwise) happen. You have to take the long view and accept that the person who laid the bad beat on you is giving you money in the long run. You don't deserve to win that particular hand. You do deserve to win over the long haul if you are playing better than your opponents. Bad beats are frustrating. But if you can't keep that frustration from causing you to play stupidly, you should quit now.