View Single Post
Old 12-05-2005, 03:43 PM

Default Re: How should I have played this flop?

Part of the problem is that you put your opponent on a specific hand (2nd pair w/ draw) that you wanted him to be on since it was favorable, not a range of hands.

Preflop: UTG limped, called a minraise. Without a read on UTG or the table, this could easily be any suited connectors, non-premium pairs, two broadway cards, Ax. You called a minraise from BB, but that could be pretty much any hand since you're getting 5.5:1 and nobody showed major preflop strength. MP is a donk with a minraise for a quarter of his stack.

Flop: You hit the flop and make a solid bet. UTG reraises you all-in. Donk gets out of the way.

What hands does he make that raise with? A set, a better queen, a low flush trying to deny your draw to a high flush, Acx, and second pair with a draw is possible too. Even third pair if he'd play a suited A2 or something. Also a bunch of pocket pairs in his range. You're way behind a lot of his range, and only slightly ahead of his range if he's on the draw you want him to be on. I'd need a very, very strong read on UTG to call the reraise. You haven't given one.

Meanwhile, if you fold to his flop raise, you've still got a healthy stack with plenty of room to make a move in a better spot.

Without any reads, I think you played the hand mostly fine until you called the reraise. Only note is that I might have folded PF (even in the BB), especially because UTG limped and according to you, he had relatively large stack and his limp would have thrown up warning lights for me. Depending on the table, I could see him limping a monster and hoping to be raised.