View Single Post
Old 03-29-2004, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Playing against evteremly loose, maniacal players

That's a tough one to walk away from, but with a three-broadway flop, you've got to take it cautiously. Still and all, I would have probably done the same thing you did. You figured someone for a draw, not the flopped nuts. Shit happens, you know?

Happened to me on Saturday Night at a home .25/.50 blinds NL game. It's heads up, and I've got about $50 in front of me. I pick up black queens in the small blind/button, and bring it in for $3, hoping that the raise was small enough to get a call from the other guy, and it was.

Flop is 9, 4, 5, rainbow. BB checks, I bet $5, BB calls
Turn is a Jack. BB checks, I bet $5, BB calls.
River is an Ace (no flush), BB bets $5, I raise $10, BB calls.

I declare "Queens" and turn them up. He turned over 4-5 suited for the flopped two pair. Shit happens. I figured him for top pair on the flop, not two-pair (I knew for sure that if a "scare card" fell on the river, he'd represent it; I've been playing against this guy almost every week for a year now). Sometimes, you just take a beat and have to deal with the fact that it really bites, curse your love of this oh, so fickle game, take your lumps, and move to the next hand.