View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 04:22 AM

Default 10.50 HU SnG- Raising to Get a Free Card with Bottom Pair

I think this play may be +EV at low blind levels (I certainly could be wrong). The very important point to make here is that villain has to be very loose and very passive. On a board like this specific one, it helps if villain doesn't semibluff. Fortunately, these people are very common in Bodog 10.50 HU SnGs [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Villain has 825 and I cover. Blinds 15/30.

Hero calls on the button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Villain checks.

Pot = t60
Flop = 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villain minbets.
Hero minraises [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Pot = t180
Turn = {8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]}6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villain checks.
Hero checks.

Pot = t180
River = {8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]}2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Villain checks.
Hero bets t120.
Villain calls.

The idea behind this play is that against loose/passive villains, taking the lead away when you're drawing is very +EV. I play like this extremely frequently with better draws (OESD or flush draws) against this kind of opponent, but I suspect that it's even +EV with weaker hands like gutshots and bottom pair if villain is an ideal candidate.

Note that if I'm sure villain plays this way, I'm getting almost 6:1 on the minraise preflop to see two cards with what's likely a 5-outer. In hindsight, I think I should've overbet the river.