View Single Post
Old 12-13-2004, 12:26 AM

Default Thanks

First, I'd like to thank those who responded. I appreciate it. It seems as if there is some disagreement about the bet preflop. Apparently, it's an auto-call after the mid-position player comes over the top (and it's only 9k more for me to call with 25k in the pot), as no one has yet recommended that I lay it down.

Someone mentioned that I raised with no consideration of my acts if I get called/played back at. In regards to that, I was considering numerous things before I bet. First, it was the late stages of MTT. Therefore, the table was tight. As I said, I was not one of the best players left in the tournament. I was more than willing to coin-flip, even if it meant for all of my chips. I wanted to finish in the top 2 places, and I thought (perhaps foolishly) that taking some chances to acquire a big stack would give me some leverage. I was going to need alot of luck to win. In other words, I had already considered my actions preflop. If it came down to it, I was willing to put it all in with my 7c7s (this needs to be qualified. I would only have played it for all my chips against four of my other opponents. There were 7 seated at my table. I had only been there for about 20 hands. There were two players who were so tight that I would have folded had they raised me. One of these tight players had already said earlier in the tournament that he would never go all-in without a made hand {he had been highly critical of someone who went all-in with AQo}. As for the other 4 players, I was willing to go to bat with them. As I said, I had no read on the player who raised me, so I did need some time to consider. This does not, however, mean that I bet with no consideration as to how I would act if I got played back at).

As far as the amount I bet preflop, I see little difference between what some of you advised (someone recommended 4500; another said 2.5x/3x the BB, which was 1600) and the 6000 which I decided to bet. Taking into account the 1400 in antes sitting on the table in addition to the blinds, I did not think 6000 was out of line, but it seems as if I need to study this closer. I felt as if, with the tight nature of the table, folding/limping was out of the question, although perhaps I'm wrong.

As it turns out, my opponent had AcAh. The board (if i recall correctly) was 5cJc4d6c8c, and he won the hand with the better club flush. I busted out of the tournament a bit later, finishing in 13th place.

Either way, I thank those of you who responded.

Daryl