View Single Post
Old 10-28-2005, 12:47 PM

Default Re: Myers-Briggs type for a successful poker player?

[ QUOTE ]
Is there one Myers-Briggs category that best fits a poker player?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

People of various personality types play and are successful at poker.

One thing to be aware of is that Myers Briggs letter types mean less than the actual numbers associated with them. for example, you and I could be be ENTP, but my E score could be 50 while yours could be 5, making me a much larger extrovert. So I think if you're really looking to correlate Myers-Briggs w/ poker, you may want to look at the individual traits measured rather than the perfect letter type.

I'd have to say it would probably be better to be a "T" (thinker) rather than an "F" (feeler), since emotion can get in the way in decision making. However, you wouldn't want to high of a "T" score, since that lack of empathy could be deterimental in reading people. Having a higher "P" score is clearly better for people who wish to multi-table online, since this score indicates how well you handle multitasking. Is it better to be an "E" (extrovert) or "I" (introvert)? Not sure there is anything definitive we could point to in terms of success at poker here. Some of the best players love to talk constantly and others don't say a word.

So I think it needs to be looked at at a more granular level than just overall category ...