View Single Post
Old 01-08-2005, 01:50 AM

Default Re: A K. Man, did I screw this up!

What range of hands do players typically raise with UTG at loose full ring Party tables? I think that makes a lot of difference as to how to play the rest of the hand. In 6-max I'd fold AK on the board approximately never. Two pair looks remote, sets seem unlikely (only two kings left in the deck, and would he actually raise 66 or 33??) The pot is already big and the only hand he is likely to show up with that beats you is AA. Perhaps in full ring the players are passive enough that you can be sure that you're beaten, but if there's any chance my opponent could have KQ, KJ, JJ, etc, then I can't fold.

And fwiw, I rarely reraise from the blinds with AK. The odds of taking down the pot right there are near zero vs party players and it's just too easy to misplay out of position when you miss the flop, either by folding the best hand or spewing chips without it. If you give the UTG raiser enough respect that you lay down TPTK on such a ragged flop when he shows aggression, then reraising is definintely *soah corrects typo for Garland... and then realizes it is still spelled wrong and decides to leave it alone* overplaying your AK, and even calling could be debatable. (This may be an overly dramatic conclusion to reach, but I'm hoping to illustrate a point.)