View Single Post
Old 07-09-2005, 10:37 PM

Default Re: Punishing limpers (Results)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Online NL £200, 10-handed.

Hero is BB, with a 17.5 BB short stack.
The rest of the table has at 30-160 BB. I've played for one orbit, and the table seems loose preflop, with a lot of underbets postflop.

Preflop:
CO posts 1+0.5 BB.
UTG calls, 2 folds, MP1 calls, fold, MP3 calls, CO checks, fold, SB completes, Hero raises to 17.5 BB (all-in).

[/ QUOTE ]
Everyone folded. Hero wins 6.5 BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

I was disappointed not to see any comments. This type of push is not common in cash games, where the stacks are usually too deep to make it profitable. It is much more common in tournaments. Indeed, some people feel that in a SNG (say with 10 BB stacks), it is quite profitable to push with any two from the BB if no one raises. Few people feel comfortable calling such a push with a limping hand, particularly if they are not last to act. Being able to push like this, without paying too much if someone was trapping or makes a big call, is one of the advantages of having a short stack.

I risked 16.5 BB to gain about 6 BB (counting my equity if I check to be about 0.5 BB). If this were a pure bluff, I would be happy if I were to get called up to 27% of the time.

This is a semi-bluff. If I do get called, I retain some winning chances. Suppose I'll get called by any pair, AK, AQs, and KQs, and for simplicity, assume these are all equally likely. I win 31% of the time against this range. When that happens, I expect to get back 12.4 BB for my 16.5 BB investment, so I regret pushing by 4.1+0.5 BB. Thus, I'm happy to push if I get called less than 57% of the time.

I think the chance of getting called was under 30%. The last people to act are the CO, who posted, and the small blind. The push should be very profitable on average, worth about 3 BB. If that 30% estimate is correct, it would be right to push with 32o.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless UTG was going for a limp-reraise, SB was playing JJ/AK/AQ timidly or someone feels like gamb00ling I don't think you're getting called very often.

But don't you think you think you would make more profit in this game if you bought in for more and out-played them post-flop? You don't sound like you're a novice, and by your desciption the game should be profitable.