View Single Post
Old 07-07-2003, 05:17 PM

Default 20-40 Taj Hand...Time to get creative or do you have to hit?

I played this hand in a very good 20-40 game at the Taj and thought it was somewhat interesting. I have 6h4h in the BB. 3 people limp, and the SB (a very loose aggressive but also somewhat tricky player) raises. He could have any two suited or a big hand, he likes to pump the pot preflop. I call, limpers call. 5 players, $200 pot. The flop comes 9h 3d 10s giving me nothing, but it gets checked around. The turn is the Qh giving me a 4flush. It gets checked to me and I fire in $40 in an effort to win right there. It gets folded around to the aggressive SB who now checkraises. This seems suspect to me...one, if you're going for a checkraise on the flop and miss you'd usually lead the turn...same as if you hit the Queen in your hand. This player is quite tricky and capable of sensing I'm trying to steal and putting in a raise to resteal since everyone folded. He could of course have a hand but the pattern seems bizarre. Would anyone take it to $120 against this player (who could lay down a better hand potentiall). Or is this a spot where you need to hit so you should just call and fold to a riv bet if you miss. I have a somewhat tight image and a turn reraise may get him to fold a big pair. What do you think and if you advocate raising, how often would you do it in this spot. Comments appreciated...results later.

Jeff