View Single Post
Old 11-20-2005, 03:43 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: Will a good SS Hold\'em player help me?

usually im one to jump onto the bandwagon of making rude comments to these kinds of posts, but i think this is a legitimate one. there are a few problems. the most important one is that youre probably not playing that well. when ssh first came out, there were a ton of people coming on here and claiming the advice is flawed. it was clear from reading the hand posts that they were just misapplying his good advice. poker is not the kind of game where you can study real hard and expect good results immediately. i think being in college makes it tougher because we are so used to getting results roughly proportionate to the amount of effort we put in. you need to log as many hands as possible to get experience, which is what youre lacking. actual experience will get you better a lot quicker than reading ssh again.

to get this experience you really need to play online. i understand you find playing online a lot less fun than playing live. i think everyone does. but online play is like a chore for the priviledge of getting to play live. you build your roll a lot faster so when you do go play live you can play 30/60 or 100/200 or whatever. that is a lot more fun than playing 3/6. youre also paying a higher rake live so its hard to make as much money. you can make maybe $20/hr playing 3/6 live but probably upwards of $60 or 70 playing 3/6 online. so you will make money faster and you will accelerate your growth at the cost of having less fun for now.

also, from a statistical standpoint, it is possible for you to be playing winning poker. most kill games ive played tend to be kill more often than not so youre really playing a 5/10ish game rather than 3/6. you lost around 320 BB now. that is possible that you are a very slight winner and had a run like that. clearly you cant be crushing the game, which you ought to be able to do if youre playing good poker. so if you are very unlucky, like 99th percentile unlucky, it's possible you are actually a small winner.