View Single Post
Old 09-29-2004, 02:03 PM

Default Re: Getting Rid Of The Intentional Walk In BB

[ QUOTE ]
I am familiar with what a balk is. I am not aware that a balk can be called for the catcher stepping out from the area behind the batter before the pitch has left the pitcher's hand (ie. a pitch out or intentional walk).

[/ QUOTE ] I don't know if I have ever seen it happen in the majors, but I did happen to me once in little league. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Pitching around a batter has more risk than throwing slow pitches way outside the strike zone as in an intentional walk. For example, a pitch in the dirt can cause a wild pitch or passed ball or the pitcher could mistakenly throw it so the hitter could get a hit. That's what I meant by more risk.

[/ QUOTE ] thats true, but a catcher could crouch and then stand up during the wind up and catch a ball outside of the strike zone. I mean, doing this would make it a little sillier and a little harder than what they already do.

[ QUOTE ]
The statement about having an effect on pitch outs referred to having a rule, for example, requiring the pitcher to throw the pitch between the two batters' boxes. Then it would be more difficult to have a pitchout if there was such a rule.

[/ QUOTE ] but then this wouldn't really be a pitch out.

[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't necessarily wedded to this idea, I just wanted to hear what other thought.

[/ QUOTE ] I know [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]