View Single Post
Old 07-16-2005, 01:19 PM

Default Re: creative thinking or just dumb?

[ QUOTE ]

your bets (or calls). If you don't want to fold to a flop bet after checking, I'm not sure why you would instead bet. That said, I

[/ QUOTE ]

To avoid the gambling error of calling with only a gutshot.

This is mostly a conceptual question I'm getting at - a tactic to avoid a gambling error. And in this example it isn't a hand meant to be played to the end - only if I hit the turn.

My objective is seeing the next card. I avoid the gambling error by leading instead (like I said, if it's raised I'm out. But being raised doesn't matter - I only need to hit 1 in 11 on the turn to eventually profit).

OP was centered on whether or not I have a valid enough reason to justify leading with an over (pairing it is no good, but I may be good with ace high here). If I were to check and someone bet my reason is gone because I now know only hitting one of four cards makes me good - and I can't call. I avoid having to acknowledge that only one of four cards helps me by leading instead (where knowing that, is a gamling error to call).

But I doubt anyone really cares about this; and I'm getting tired of thinking about it. It's probably mostly just an academic exercise (i.e., leading to avoid a technical calling error).

Mike