View Single Post
Old 12-28-2005, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Teaching a friend Hold\'em 101 & Basic SnG Strategy from scratch.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I asked him what to do in EP with my Qd2c and he said ... "hmm maybe call." I then asked, "So why would you call with this?" He then replied, "I don't know maybe for a straight? Q K A 2 3."

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you need to help him find another job or get him to keep his current one. That's not meant to be rude, but there is no reason to quit a job to learn how to play a game when he has little to no concept of how to win. I think he could find a job where he works 35-40 hours a week with little stress and do his SnG project at night. I started at play money tables practicing playing tight. I then deposited 50 bucks (any amount he's comfortable with) and tried to make something happen at 5.50 SnGs. Now I'm happy.

I think that having him read HOH and any other advanced book is a little too quick. I think you have him play some, read some, play some, watch some, read some.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish somebody would have given me some advise like this when I decided to quit my job and become a professional golfer. It sucked when I found out 3 was a better score than 5...

Okay, I didn't actually do this. And neither should he.

Before he reads any of those books, he should read the little hand-rank chart that comes in the Bicycle deck. Seriously, I am not being a dick. He needs to start by learning how poker is played, not start to learn how to play poker.