View Single Post
Old 12-25-2005, 04:00 AM

Default Re: Two pair - standard?

I think your play is OK, but if you are interested in putting a little more smart aggression in your game, these are my thoughts:

Full pot it here or check call, otherwise you are just waisting chips. When you 3/4 pot it, you are basically telling villain "I have A6 or A3 and since you called me on the flop, I think I may be screwed, especially if you have a set or AQ".

Given that you 3/4 potted it (showing some weakness), I don't like the call of the minraise lets villain take the initiative away from you and gives away information about your hand (the fact that you are on a draw) for too small a price. I prefer reraising here to represent the aces like you did on the flop. Then villain can only read your 3/4 pot bet and reraise as saying "I have the top set, but I was betting a little less than full pot to invite a call." Villain can't raise you back without AA and can't call without at least QQ or 45xx suited in clubs.

Finally, given the way you played it through the turn, I would pot it on any blank card, 1/2 to 3/4 pot it on a flushing card, and check-call if the board pairs. Again, by playing it this way, you are representing top set.