View Single Post
Old 12-16-2005, 11:04 PM

Default Re: A couple of quick badugi questions

Hi acesover8s,

I have read some of your pot-limit omaha posts, so I assume you are mostly interested in the half pot limit game, although I could be wrong. I played this game a lot when it came out first on Tribeca, mostly $2-$4, although I haven't played recently.

The answers given to your first question are correct. You generally need to show down a four-card badugi. As far as resources go, I think you're on your own; I wrote some software to manipulate hands but I didn't find it particularly useful and there wasn't enough interest on this forum for me to develop it further. I have met people here who have played the game for years, and you might also find a fair few in the UK, but very little written down.

As for playing a hand like T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] -- in position, or against weak straightforward players you want to play this hand all the time if the pot is unraised, as most players will raise with any pat hand. In first or second position if there are tricky players behind who will semibluff you on the 2nd and 3rd betting rounds, you might be best to fold the hand. Still, headsup you are a slight money favourite to beat any draw, and they will have to put money in on all three drawing rounds. Three handed you are normally not quite a money favourite, but against players who will call you down and never raise you without badugi the hand plays itself. I wouldn't play this against a raise out of position.

I have some more thoughts on the game; these aren't very well developed, or, probably, coherently expressed. I'd like to see more discussion about the game. Maybe I will play over Christmas.