View Single Post
Old 07-21-2005, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Minors at home games?

[ QUOTE ]
Being 17 years old I am a minor, I play a homegame tourny every week where we play 3 tournaments where I finish 1st or 2nd about every game unless I catch some real bad beats. IMO I dont think you should discriminate just because someones not old enough to legally have a beer or whatnot you could miss playing with some very good players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can find plenty of adults to play with that are very good. It's not a matter of discrimination in the sense that I might have something against 11 year olds in general, I've got 2 kids of my own that I love with all my heart... That doesn't mean that I want to play poker with them.
I just don't like the idea of playing poker with an 11 year old for a number of reasons. Several posts above have perfectly captured part of the problem that I had with the kid playing, that the kid would be a sore loser and from what I've heard from people that were at the game that's exactly what happened. Apparently the boy didn't throw a fit of any kind after he busted out but just sat in the corner on the verge of tears for the rest of the night because that was his last $10 and dad wasn't at all sympathetic towards him and wasn't going to give him anymore money (kudos for dad for trying to teach the boy a lesson about gambling: scared money loses). Well, the host of the game won the tourney and felt so bad for the kid that he gave him his buy in back out of his winings, not exactly fair to the rest of the field I think. I don't think much good can come from <18 year olds playing with adults