View Single Post
Old 11-19-2005, 10:39 AM

Default Re: 200$ NL VPIP help

When u say he needs to play more hands I think you should qualify this a little. I spent a long time trying to find out what hands it was I should be playing. It seemed that there were so few really playable hands to choose from, no one ever semed to post a hand that wasn't one of these and yet most claimed VPIP of around 20% in full ring and 30%+ in SH play.

It takes a mental shift to get from the idea of the two cards you are dealt being the 'Hand' (position not withstanding) to the more complete picture of the hand being your cards, your likely opponents in this hand, your position in the deal and in relation to your oponents, your opponents 'style' and weaknesses, the potential earn (implied dodds), your opponents likely cards, availability of reads etc. When you start 'thinking' about a hand this way many cards become playable that a 15/6 player is discarding and conversely, many hands he is playing will be folded.

edit: when i say 15/6 player I mean a 15/6 player who would quote his stats as an idicator of the hands he chooses to play preflop. e.g. I have 15%VPIP so I play AQo+, ATs+ ,TT-AA in EP, add in Axs in MP, add SCs and 2 broadway cards in late. Not I have 15%VP because I ony play hands aginst really bad players avoiding those who are only moderately bad etc.