View Single Post
Old 07-05-2005, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Who played this worse?

A couple of comments from a lower limit player. First, it's cool to know that 20/40 at Foxwoods is that good. I've played up to 5/10 and seen horrible play, and I'd heard 10/20 was equally bad (becuase the 5/10 players were all complaining how people would chase you down and make two little pair on the river). Too bad I'm moving soon. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Second, obviously button played badly here. His preflop raise is bad unless his QJ was suited, and his turn raise was bad unless he had Qh Jh. Even then it's still bad, but not horribly so.

Third, I agree that this is a hand where you want to check-raise the button, but let's make sure we are clear are on something. I'd rather people with weak draws put in 4 SB on the flop than fold the pot for 2 SB. The reason betting out is bad is if it just gets called in all places. In fact, if I had a tell that button was excited when the ace hit the flop, I think betting out with the intention of 3-betting is the best play. Your hand is indeed vulnerable, but your equity on this flop is quite good.

I also don't like the turn 3-bet. In hindsight, we see that the button was overplaying his hand, but he's representing a hand that can beat yours. About the only hand I can reasonably see him having there that you beat is Ah Kh. Yes you are getting an overlay from the third player who you are probably beating and you have to account for the possibility that even seemingly good players sometimes overplay hands, but this decision is not close enough where those factors come into play.

River is fine. I don't like the preflop call.