View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 11:21 PM

Default Re: Unintentional Humor From the Archives: The Newbie Chronicles

For the impatient, here are a few highlights:

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Ouch:

....unless you are one of those bone-heads that automatically checks an obvious best one pair on the river. --Louie Landale

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Yeah, right:

Oh good, I was afraid I might be a bonehead --BruceZ

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] The following quotes are not representative-- it's surprising how many earnest responses he got.

I have to admire your percistancy in ignoring advice from very reputable people. I guess there is some merrit in sticking to a plan, nomatter how [censored] it might be. --Rigolleto

Why is anyone still paying attention to this guy? --Vehn

I will be frank and say that you show a very disappointing lack of understanding of some basic
fundamentals and logic after six months of study. D-.
--Ullyses

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Who would have guessed?

In person, Dynasty and Clarkmeister are just like they are on 2+2. Dynasty says little and is very blunt. Clarkmeister is more expansive. Both are friendly. --mdlm

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] In-person instruction for these prices? Is this deal still available?

This past week I spent $10 buying Dynasty a steak. I have spent a total of $476.43 out of my $1000 budget. --mdlm

A $10 steak is called a hamburger.

Give me some credit for ordering a half-decent meal. It was a $19 steak dinner. That's nothing extraordinary but a $19 steak sounds about ten times better than a $10 steak.
--Dynasty

Dentist asks if Dynasty and Clarkmeister are legends. Clarkmeister gave a very modest reply. Dynasty
is definitely a member of Sklansky's 500 Club (see Sklansky's essay "Pros Versus Wannabes" in the Essays
section on this site) or at least he was until he decided to hang out with Clarkmeister and play LL poker. Clarkmeister would be a member of the 500 Club if he took poker seriously.
--mdlm

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Ed counts outs, and he's not happy:

IMO, folding in this situation is a horrible play....

Bottom line, mdlm, is that playing aggressively (here and in other situations) forces your opponents to make a hand or fold. Yes.. you are behind AT... but is AT really going to call you down when you raise preflop, raise the K-high flop, bet the turn, and bet the river? Because the answer is a resounding no for the large majority of opponents... are you really behind here? He will view himself as probably behind to a K... possibly AK... and be counting his outs. And he won't like them.

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] The tragic ending:

And congratulations to everyone who has beaten poker. It sure is a tough thing to do.

Thanks to all and to all a good night!

--------------------
mdlm, The Newbie