View Single Post
Old 11-30-2005, 11:59 AM

Default Re: Stopping when you know you are on tilt

[ QUOTE ]
Do not ever play unless you are playing your A game. Simply refuse to do it. Consider it a matter of principle. If you find yourself slipping into your B game, sit out. If you cannot calm yourself down and bring back your A game serenity, quit playing. When you are playing you only ever play your A game. Always. No matter what. No matter how good the game is. No matter what justification or reasons you have. Then you will find that you will stay in your A game for longer and longer and longer. You will become more resilient to being knocked off of your A game. You will feel strong and solid. It will become a manner of honor with you, to be a person who always plays their A game.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an admirable ambition and one that I have desired for myself for a long time. The only problem I have is, it is so, so rare that I play my A-game that it's almost like I can't wait until I get that back to play. I'm always tired, or moody, or stressed out.

I'm not a full-time pro so a) I only have limited time in the week that playing poker is even available to me; and b) during those hours I am often underslept and overstressed. If I refused to play less than my A-game I would literally play like 3 hours a week. I'm not sure what the solution will be to this, if I can even ever find one.