View Single Post
Old 07-12-2005, 11:01 AM

Default Re: natural skill, hard work and Fossilman

Hi Marlow,

Good post.

Alot of what you read just makes for good reading. Most of the big name pros seem to be trying to diversify into other financially lucrative areas (sponsorship etc) which makes sense. It helps if they have a story to sell behind it!

I read somewhere that Phil Ivey for instance has worked his way up from something like 8/16 4-5 years ago by playing 60hrs a week for example. He didn't just wake up and crush them.

I think that people that have a natural aptitude for maths/logic etc will always have a headstart. This will get you so far and you then need to include someones temperment and bankroll management etc as you step through the higher games.

I think in terms of the overall debate study/experience makes up a huge part of it.

For study I am talking about thinking about the game/situations away from the table. Reading and absorbing books etc.

For experience I mean playing lots of poker. That's poker where you are concentrating and not 8 tabling 3/6 limit to make money.

I've rambled here, alot. But what I suppose I am trying to say is that I think that study makes up a much bigger piece of someones ability than natural flair for the game.