View Single Post
Old 08-24-2005, 11:15 AM

Default Re: H.U.A.C. fan

>>Is it safe for me to assume that this nonsense isn't satire?<<

Mack, I'm disappointed. After our exchange of pm's I thought were were beyond this tone.

>>How is terrorism any different to militarism<<

This requires another thread, but that would be extremely tedious as it has been done to death. Let's just say that if you're talking about 21st century US/Brit 'militarism' vs. 21st century islamic terrorism, many reasonable and intelligent people can (and have) presented extemely cogent arguments that these two phenomena are *extremely* different. My point is that they are mutually reinforcing.

>> I guess it's okay for the US to kill whoever they like, for whatever convoluted reasons they can manufacture, then to wholly condemn anyone who takes pre-emptive measures to defend themselves against this aggression.<<

This is of course a loaded statement on many levels. And I hope you're not referring to 9/11 as a "pre-emptive" measure - if so, I really don't see any point in discussing the issue with you further. I honestly hope you will reflect on this and reconsider.

>>As we speak, Blair is having new rules written up to stop me objecting to the madness he has got me and my country involved in.<<

This recent response by the British government is supporting the major theme I've presented in these discussion, as these laws are a direct response to the London subway mass murders by islamic terrorists. Should there be another mass terror attack in the West, the counterresponses will only escalate.

In order to interrupt this cycle, terror must be unequivocally condemned without reservation. By making excuses and rationalizations for terror, by justifying terror, one gives legitimacy to terrorists and their supporters, feeding their delusion that what they are doing is "right". Sympathy for terrorism creates more terror because it helps remove one of the internal 'checks' (i.e. conscience, guilt) that keep people from moving from terrorist fantasies to terrorist acts.

Look at the IRA - when popular support for terror dried up, the terror slowed down - and *all* those involved (Irish protestants and Irish catholics, Republican and Northern Irish) are *much* better off today. OTOH, the palestinians pioneered terror (remember the Munich olympics) and never looked back. The fact that they enjoyed popular support in many circles for their terrorism (in the Arab world and in Western Europe) only fueled that terrorism. Look at where the Palestinian people are today. Look at how that conflict has fueled other conflicts around the world today. Pointing fingers at the israelis just doesn't cut it - if one doesn't acknowledge the role of palestinian terrorism in the deterioration of this situation, then one just isn't being objective.