View Single Post
Old 10-18-2005, 11:55 AM

Default Re: Which is more important to you...?

Coffee,

I understand your point. During WWII there was a quote about Mussolini, "At least he kept the trains running on time." An awful large number of Cubans are grateful to Castro and what they believe he provides them. I saw Iraqi people on TV talking how they missed the security they felt under Sadaam, even though they knew he wasn't a nice person. I keep forgetting that these people exist.

I guess I just believe too much in people taking care of themselves. I know the extremes to which I'd go in order to protect my freedom because I know what I can do because I am free. I realize, believe me, that a lot of people are on the dirty end of the stick. But I also know they've been given a shot at a free education, the opportunity to learn to think for themselves, and more than just a few ways to get the help they need in whatever area they need it.

The "sacrifices" we make today, because of the nut cases who want the US to no longer exist, are mostly simple inconveniences to me. I am not talking about the kids in uniform who are dying. I'm talking about airport security, etc., et al. The things that, if we didn't do them and something bad happened, the very people complaining about them would be screaming, "Why wasn't......" or "Why didn't......"

For me, Health and Security are a direct result of my Freedom. Under a dictator, no matter how benevolent, I'd always fear for my Health (as in staying alive) and I'd never be able to feel any genuine Security.