View Single Post
Old 10-18-2005, 10:35 AM

Default Re: Which is more important to you...?

[ QUOTE ]
How can you not choose Freedom? Seriously.

If you've got Freedom you can take care of the other.

Health/Safety without Freedom is unacceptable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly...to some, Freedom is useless without Health/Safety. I'm not disagreeing with you, Nut...I think it's unacceptable, too, but I also believe that the grand majority of people in this country, and in the rest of the world, if they are really honest with themselves, prefer safety to freedom.

Nothing about the public at large convinces me that it will champion freedom over its desire for white picket fences, 2.4 children, and five year plans. Many Americans still remember fondly(albeit falsely) about a simpler time when family values, total security, and predictability were achievable, never realizing that those things were simply illusions(well, maybe not family values).

Even a couple of months ago, I was chatting with a colleague about this relationship between freedom and security. Although being a liberal, atheist, and free-thinker, he still admitted to me that he was willing to sacrifice a portion of his freedom for security. Five years ago, that would have been okay. Nowadays, it's foolhardy, because we all know that in our world, there are idiots flying planes into buildings.