View Single Post
Old 08-14-2005, 06:27 PM

Default Re: After reading \'My failure as a poker pro (very long)\' by Ten7offsu

If you look at the highly successful pros (Schneids, bike, gonores, DcfrThs) on this board, a few things really stand out.

- They are very intelligent. I think Schneids once said that after he's played with somebody once, he can remember their weaknesses months later. Sobering if you're like me and have to check player notes every 15 minutes. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

- They don't tilt much. And if they do, they make sure they run good while tilting.

- They have good intrapersonal IQ...i.e. they know how to figure out what's making them feel angry, or frustrated, or bored, or whatever. Just read either of the 60k quests and you'll see what I'm talking about.

- They study hard. Gonores mentioned that for the first part of his pro career, he had the highest study time/game time ratio of anybody he knew.

- They keep the game in perspective, mostly at least, e.g. "summer > poker." I assume this reduces risk of burnout.

- They have enough balls to take shots when shot-taking time has arrived.

How do you stack up? Be honest with yourself.