View Single Post
Old 12-20-2005, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Should I play 5/10 at the Taj?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's possible to lose 50 big bets in any limit game. I have never done it.

[/ QUOTE ]
this is either shananigans or you're weak tight. If your raising with strong hands preflop and raising with draws and trying to extract every penny out of a table that you can then there are going to be nights where you miss miss miss miss miss miss miss miss and before you know it, you've dropped 50 - 100BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play tight aggressive. I don't play many hands. Maybe that explains it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe I suck, but I think that if you're really aggressive you're going to have sessions where you lose 50BB. Perhaps you have a "stop loss" plan at 25BB? I just don't see how you can be truel aggressive and not run 50BB bad from time to time.

~FishNChips

[/ QUOTE ]

It's probably a difference in our styles. I play tight and don't play real aggressive at limit. I wil raise good hands and try to steal pots at tight tables, but I am not capping a lot.

If you are playing 5/10, it only costs you about $45/hour if you don't play hands. So in 6 hours, you lose $270 by not playing any hands. I find it hard to lose twice that playing hands. But I am playing very tight, taking advantage of the looseness of these games.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is patently ridiculous. Sorry. Betgo, I understand the gist of what you're saying, but I do have to be honest with you: for an EV maximizing player, there is absolutely, positively no way to play well and not run into semi-frequent 50BB downswings. Now, in online play (with more h/hr and multi tables) things get even worse, with easy downswings of 100BB or more all the time. You get used to it. As you've mentioned, large upswings happen as well.

The bottom line, however, is that even with perfect play, no amount of difference in "style" can save a player from 50BB+ swings. Of course, you could sacrifice EV to diminish variance (e.g tighten way the hell up), but that's a foolish path to take if you want to actually win money while playing.

My conclusion: you are either missing LOTS of bets, or more likely are just being unintentionally disingenious about the lack of swings in your game.

To the OP: look, you can probably beat this game without breaking a sweat, but that's not the only element in the equation of "Should I play this game." Bad [censored] can happen, and happen fast in limit hold'em, and if you don't plan for that possibility, you will have done yourself a disservice.