View Single Post
Old 11-21-2005, 07:38 PM

Default Re: The Root of All Evil?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.
--1 Timothy 6:10,11

[/ QUOTE ]

To those knowledgable in biblical scripture (and I'm looking at you NotReady [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ) is the above translaton of "ALL evil" correct?

If it is, then isn't Jesus dismissing all sin that doesn't have to do with loving money?

And if it isn't, then how should it read?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's cut and dry. You have to look at the mentality that the love of money produces. Jealousy, resentment, even hate towards the Have's. It's the mentality that occurs when someone has some intention that doesn't line up with their Self, that causes the step down the slippery slope. I think that's the main point. Whether the love for money is the sole initiator of sin is certainly questionable. I think Tim's words point towards following that which is true of Self. What is true of Self is what that person already is, so any departure from that, i.e. following some intention to get a lot of money to satisfy some secret greedy urge, is intending something different than that which the person already is.