Thread: SSHE quiz
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2005, 10:21 AM

Default Re: SSHE quiz

I don't have the book in front of me, so I may not give the same explanation Ed does.

[ QUOTE ]
An aggressive player raises from early position, 3 cold callers, SB folds. Hero has 9c 6c. What should Hero do?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're in the big blind. When the action gets to you there are 9 small bets in the pot. The pot odds alone are 9:1, which is plenty good for a call.

Also, your implied odds mean something here. You're looking for a very good flop. You want to flop a flush or at least four to a flush or trips or maybe two pair. How often will you do that? I don't know, I don't have time to calculate it at the moment. But with a raiser and three cold-callers after you, there's a good chance you'll be paid off nicely if you hit your hand.

[ QUOTE ]

I can't find a reference to such a play in SSHE. I assummed 9c 6c would be classified as 'Junk Suited Hand (p72) and folded.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be if the game were tighter or you had to cold call. But you've just seen 3 players cold call an UTG raiser. That is significant. It may well mean that there are three players in this hand that really don't understand what they're doing and may pay you off.

[ QUOTE ]

In odds calculator 96s comes out 20.3% against 4 other random players and 11.46% against 9 other random players.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you look at it from a straight equity position, this is a hand you want to play in this position. If your equity is 20% (1/5th) then you are playing correctly since you are 1/5th of the players in the pot. Your equity edge might be very small or even - as it is in this case - but you still have as much equity as anyone else and probably more than some.

These hot-and-cold equity calculations are flawed because you're really not up against random hands, not with a raise and three cold calls. These players have something. It may not be much, but it's probably something. You probably don't actually have 20% equity. But it doesn't matter because the pot odds are favorable and the implied odds are also very good.

Did that clarify at all? I'll have to read Ed's explanation when I get home.

Regards,

T