Thread: Streib article
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2005, 01:30 PM

Default Re: Streib article

Andrew Prock:

[ QUOTE ]
It's pretty important, if you're going to present solutions to problems, that you properly state what problem you are solving. You didn't present a game theory optimal solution, so presenting it as such is a bit confusing. As far as how close the solutions are to the game theory optimal one, they look like they are off by quite a bit, especially for small stacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that honesty is the best policy, although I think we can cut Streib some slack given that he was publishing in a magazine, not a scholarly journal.

In the same vein, I would similarly suggest that anyone comparing their solution to his should fully explain how they arrived at their solution and why they believe it to be correct.

I've seen a number of solutions that claim to be optimal, but they don't all agree. It seems to be time for a public discussion of methods of solution so that the peer-review process can take place.

I'm more than happy to talk about how I arrived at my (very good) approximate solution.

For those worried about losing EV, don't. The willfully ignorant will remain blissfully so.