View Single Post
Old 10-27-2005, 04:28 PM

Default Re: Calling Station hand

[ QUOTE ]
Win or lose...I feel like I missed a raise on either the turn or the river.

What do you guys think?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dave - I agree with you. My immediate reaction when I read that you called SB's bet on the third betting round was that you should have raised. SB could be betting more because he thinks you <font color="white">_</font>don't have a six than because he does or has a full house.

When you don't raise, you do get an extra bet out of SB on the river, but in the meanwhile, SB may have improved to a better hand than you.

You might slow play quad sixes by limping on the 3rd betting round, but trip sixes with an ace kicker is not <font color="white">_</font>strong enough to slow-play.

Your trip sixes is probably the best hand after the turn - but it needs all the protection you can give it. Raise!

If your opponent has queens full or nines full, you're going to get re-raised - and maybe an overly aggressive opponent will re-raise with less. But by and large your opponent will either fold or simply call your re-raise (and then possibly check to you on the river - and if so, you check back if you haven't improved on the river).

Just my opinion.

I wrote the above before reading the rest of this thread. Seems you came to the same conclusion I did about raising the turn.

Your hand is strong enough to raise before the flop, and if you usually raise with ace-deuce-X-Y before the flop from the big blind, I think you should also raise before the flop with A36Jd from the big blind. (Raising with other strong hands tends to disguise your ace-deuce-X-Y raises).

Or you can keep the strength of your hand hidden for a round or two. I think you do about as well when you win with a strong starting hand by checking from the big blind on the first betting round (sometimes better if your oppoennts are not alerted and sometimes worse if they are), and obviously you save a bet when you miss the flop.

All in all, I think raising or not with ace-deuce is a toss-up, depending on your opponents. However, if you <font color="white">_</font>do usually raise from the small blind with A2XY, I feel strongly that you should also raise with A36Jd.

Just my opinion.

Buzz