View Single Post
Old 07-30-2005, 10:58 AM

Default Having trouble beating a home game

My home game used to be really tight passive. Lately there has been a split in poker strategy. Two guys have become calling stations with the luck of the irish. The other three guys have turned into maniacs. I've kept the same strategy I always have... tight aggressive. Last night when I picked up good cards, I raised but would get at least three callers. (two maniacs and a calling station) I'd follow-up by raising no matter what the flop to see if anyone else hit. Usually one maniac and one calling station would call, or worse, the maniac would re-raise. I must have folded 5 or 6 hands that would have been the best since everyone likes to show cards but me. The few hands that I kept until showdown were beat by the calling stations. At one point I went 50 minutes straight folding hands waiting for good cards. When I finally raised 4X BB with AA I got 4 callers and someone flopped a straight.

What is the best way to play when you have both loose-aggressive and loose-passive in almost every pot. It felt like luck was beating skill, but I'm hoping there's a better way than praying.

Derek