View Single Post
Old 12-28-2005, 03:04 PM

Default Re: Short-term-results-oriented thinking

[ QUOTE ]
Warrantless searches under FISA and the extension of those searches under the USA PATRIOT act run counter to the long-held principle that warrants (based on probable cause) are required.

[/ QUOTE ]

Section 213, delayed notification? A power that has been granted to investigators now for decades and has been validated by the Supreme Court.

[ QUOTE ]
Tracking library loans and other actions taken under the USA PATRIOT act violate this same principle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably a reference to Section 215? Criminal investigators have always had been allowed access to 3rd party disclosures without needing a warrant or probable cause.

[ QUOTE ]
The general principle is that you have the right to be left alone unless the government has probable cause to snoop (sorry about all the complex legalese

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally speaking, as a conservative, I generally agree with this. I just dont think that the Patriot Act violates those principles. And thanks for keeping the language, we conservatives have enough trouble with that as it is. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

All that said, my real gripe with people attacking the Patriot Act, is more of an irritation with their almost pathological inability to provide any details. I think your post is by far the best Ive seen in response to my challenge. Guess this means you are my monkey! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]