View Single Post
Old 12-24-2005, 04:03 PM

Default Re: ALL Forum Splitting Comments/Suggestions Go here!

First of all, I don't agree with locking the other threads and making one thread. The threads were taking different approaches. Mine was a satire. Well, I was half serious.

This is what they do on WPT. If you wanted to discuss something about the WSOP while it was going on, it had to be in an official thread with 500 posts on different subjects all mixed in.

There is a lot of noise in this forum, but I don't know what the solution is. The problem is much worse in the WPT forum, which has sort of been abandoned to the fish. Also, forums on other sites generally have less intelligent discussion.

You certainly could break it by buyin, but then a lot of interesting posts about hands from low buyin events would not get the proper treatment. There are also many pros who play in <$100 online tournaments, somewhat unlike with cash games.

I was kind of joking about the junk forum, but you could have a separate forum for sweat requests, OT, LC, micro buyins, and beginners questions. That might eliminate some noise without being too draconian.

Obviously, it would be hard to say this is a stupid question. Move it to the junk forum. I know some of my posts have been called "retarded" or "worst post ever", but whether or not you agreed with me, they were not beginners topics.

The moderator could move to this other topic forum OT, LC, very low buyin, sweat requests, and obvious beginners questions in a fairly objective way.

The bad beat forum has been very successful. I like it for a number of reasons. First, moderators can move bad beat posts there. Secondly I can post hands where my runner runner quads queens beat runner runner quad threes, or where my quads lost to a straight flush, or when I busted three people out of a tournament on one hand, winning the tournament. I don't get flamed there for posting stuff like that.

Therefore, I think a micro buyin, beginners, off topic, low content, and sweat forum might get a lot of posts, like the BBV forum does.

An elite posters forum would certainly have interesting discussion. Obviously, there is a question of how you determine who is an elite poster. It is very difficult in poker to determine who has top level results. Some people may have final tables in major tournaments because they can afford to buyin to all of them, but they could be much weaker players than grinder pros who play at a lower buyin.

Also, there are different levels of posters. There are real beginner level posters. A lot of intermediate level posters like myself probably wouldn't like being kept out of the most interesting discussions. I certainly like to make my "stupid" comments about hands from major tournaments.

However, if strong players want to start a private forum with the output publicly available, I am sure that would be very interestig reading. Also, people could start a private discussion forum where their secrets were not publically available, if that is what they want to do.