View Single Post
Old 08-23-2005, 03:00 AM

Default Re: A family with a history of addiction ... and me

Adrians,

Don't know you much at all, but just judging from the tournament the other night, you're like a lot of 2p2ers -- a guy who is fascinated by the game, likes to play and think about it, does well when he plays... just like anyone with a hobby.

If your wife is keeping her eyes open and doesn't think you have a problem, I wouldn't worry about having a "gambling problem." You might want to evaluate if you're giving up too much time to your hobby in lieu of your family, and it sounds like you're doing that -- good for you.

As for the extended family and friends, there's not much more you can do than be open and honest with them about your playing. I still have family members concerned for me, and others that are very proud. I have an open book policy -- I assure anyone who wants assurance that I'll print out my PT stats, Neteller transactions, etc. I'll give them a lecture on probability if they want. Whatever it takes to reassure someone. And most people, even if they don't get it, are reassured that I'm taking it seriously and cautiously, and they trust me not to mess up my life. There are still a few people who worry, and a lot of people who I haven't gotten a chance to discuss it with (more, after that WSJ article... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]). Some people will refuse to view poker as anything but negative EV gambling, like slots/roulette/craps. Or that it is a dishonest, immoral way to make money.

Thankfully, no one in my life that REALLY matters feels that way. I don't know what I'd do if they did. But I'd imagine if a parent/spouse truly felt that way, it'd be worth reconsidering whether poker was worth damaging that relationship.

In summation, you sound like a guy with his head square on his shoulders to me, and certainly not a problem gambler. I'd suggest not constantly bringing up poker around the family/friends who might be concerned, other than to just let them know that if they're truly concerned, you would be glad to talk with them openly about it. If you have nothing to be ashamed of, there's no reason to hide.

Best of luck man,
madtown

PS: Please inform your friends that I'm not a "ringer." [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]