View Single Post
Old 12-11-2005, 12:33 PM

Default Re: I think I have to quit...(NC)

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, so like every Saturday the last couple of months (and virtually everyday for that matter), I spent my time playing $20 SNG's. And after tonight, I feel like I have got to quit...go back to cash games.
I can't handle the beats...
After tonight, I have just under 2000 SNG's between the 10's and the 20's. Between the 2 I have a 13% ROI. I am a winning player, although as you can tell, just barely.
However, tonight was just another night where I find myself cursing the computer and slamming my hands against the keyboard.
I played 36 tournies tonight with an ROI of 3.5%. I finished the night with:
1st--1
2nd--6
3rd--9
4th--6
I went through my hand histories and found that in the 21 tournies I was knocked out in 2nd-4th, I had the better hand all in preflop 19 times. In 12 of those, I had my opponent dominated (AAvs.Q4, KKvs85, A6vsA3, AKvsAJ, etc.). Yeah yeah, we all have bad beats.
Almost all of these plays are by the large stack making a move on my from the SB when I'm the BB. I re-raise all in, and they are already priced in and have to call with their junk...and then the BB assuming I'm making a move on them when I have shown nothing but good hands. They call with 85o when they only have me covered by a couple of hundred.

I just don't have the mental ability to overcome night after night of bad beats. I keep thinking that if I go in with the better hand, it will all average out, but I can't wait for it.

Now, bankroll wise, I can handle the swings. I'm not playing at a point where the money is scaring me. It's simply that I get so pissed when they suck out on me...and when I have these days, I just can't stand going all in again, knowing I'm going to have the better hand...and it means nothing.

So, I give up...back to NL50...back to the grind. Was fun while it lasted...well, sometimes.

P.S. yes, I'm a baby...yes, I need to learn about variance...and yes, I'll have to get use to it if I plan to play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Going through a period like this is detrimental to a long lasting poker career. I call it poker puberty.

Just like real puberty,,, all the little boys that have a little peach fuzz think they are a man...

Dont worry about all of the posters that think you are a moron for being upset about bad beats or streaks. I can think off the top of my head two very respected posters that have posted very similar threads to your own.

Luck extends beyond your own sample size and beyond poker for that matter. You sir have had some bad bad luck. Poker emulates life. Some people are born into wealth, and some people are born in. Some people are born healthy, some people are born addicted to crack. Just like life... No one thinks anyone understands their own situation, and everyone thinks they understand everyones elses situation so well. (still with me?)

In Short...
Life isnt fair, and neither is poker

[ QUOTE ]
In the long run everyone gets the same cards.

[/ QUOTE ] -poker cliche

This isnt true in the least. If you dont believe me compare PT databases. Sure there will be similarities, but...

You dont get the same cards no matter how many you play.
You dont get them in the same order
You dont face teh same opponents
the same flops
the ihsdfkjhgby
ekjbkjb
jhgknktn
you see what I mean
ljhkdjfhbk
dkjfhklh diuk

The main bug up everyones ass is. They were programmed that bad beat posts are puke. They are for the most part.

You are saying to yourself... "This cant be normal" and most people post wanting to fullfill that gap somehow.

Guess what... Its normal [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Are you suffering more then others... could be, maybe, and maybe its just happening at the wrong times for you.

OK I think I could ramble forever. Sorry to step on toes, but there if there is one thing worse then a bad beat post, it is a post complaining about a bad beat post.

For those that hate bad beat posts and want to see them disapear,... Dont read them, dont respond... Think of it like intelligent strategy... By responding all you do is bump it and fuel the fire.
<font color="white"> "We Didnt start the fire... No we didnt light it, but we're trying to fight it..." </font>