View Single Post
Old 11-03-2005, 07:24 PM

Default Re: Questions For Consistently Profitable Players

[ QUOTE ]
3) Play aggressively. You would do well to play with the mindset, "when I enter a pot, I am not going to call someone else's raise unless it is for purposes of deception or to build a bigger pot (by encouraging others to call behind me). I want to enter a pot raising, or I am going to fold and wait until I can raise with confidence." With your big hands (big pocket pairs and AK) you want to keep raising if at all possible, as these hands play best against fewer opponents, and you would like to confront later opponents with multiple bets, to discourage them from entering the pot and to get the most value from your best hands, because you won't get them very frequently. Once you have entered the pot, you need to keep the pressure on your opponents as the hand progresses, unless/until you meet resistance, at which point you need to evaluate: are you still ahead, or are you behind? If you are ahead, you should keep raising and keep putting pressure on your opponents, as this pays dividends in both the current and future hands. If you feel you are behind, you need to determine if you can afford to continue with the hand

[/ QUOTE ]
really liked your comment very good.

i picked out three things. one i agree with totally, one i disagree with totally, and one i had a question about.

i agree totally that good players have a great ability to read whether they are behind or not and act accordingly. i did o.k. last weekend B&M but i think i left alot of $$$$$ on the table calling 3 bets on river when i pretty much knew i was beat (two guys raising and flush and straight possibility). you have to be able to give it up. but don't get weak either.

you said you want to come in raising (i think you said every hand). i like raising but there are alot of hands where you just want to call (depending on # of callers, your cards and the tight/aggressive etc. of game)... i think the come in raising almost every time you play is more shorthanded.... i know some guys are into "never cold call a raise" - either fold or reraise (i think that's in either harrington or miller).

lastly my question, you say raise AK to limit the field. i'd agree in game where the players are very good. but i don't mind that much against lousy players. yes, you will hit Ace pair and people will river a flush against you or hit two pairs. but i think these people will play alot of dominated horrible hands (K7, A6, Q9) and this is so profitable i find. i know the books are always talking about this, but i don't totally understand it. a pair of 10's or J's and i definitely think you want to cut down the field.

any thoughts at least on the last part (Raising AK to limit field).