View Single Post
Old 12-09-2004, 11:04 AM

Default Re: I am seen as too tight, how do I adjust / exploit?

Blind defense is tough.

Some small stacks are so desperate to get the blinds that they're going all-in with just Ace high on the flop or turn. Some big stacks will pretty much call you down if they have any piece of the flop or put you all-in on the flop or turn. So you need to look for evidence that the person will fold to a decent bet before you look to defend with a less than premium hand.

When you do choose to defend with a mediocre hand, you need to play your hand in a manner that is consistant with how you'd play a better hand. For example, I don't slow play much. So when I decide to defend, I'm pretty much betting out at the flop and probably the turn regardless of if I hit unless I get a lot of resistance. I'm not slowing down when an Ace or King comes or a flush hits on the turn because I want the villain to think that I just hit it.

If I don't have a big enough stack for this and decide I need to defend then I'm raising all-in pre-flop and I'm picking an opponent that knows how to fold and a hand that is at least ok heads up against high cards.

Remember that if you can steal blinds pretty freely that you don't have to defend your own blinds ultra aggressively. You also can't defend your blinds every round or you're going to get burned. You also have to remember that you're looking for good spots to defend your blinds and being ticked off because the same guy keeps stealing your blinds doesn't necessarily mean this is a good spot to defend.

As far as showing hands that you defend with goes... I'll show a really premium hand that doesn't go to showdown every once in a while or I'll occasionally say something like "God
I never get action when I flop a set". I wouldn't dream of showing a garbage hand that I bluffed a guy out of the pot with though unless I intended to only defend with premium hands from then on.