View Single Post
Old 12-12-2005, 07:50 AM

Default Re: have freind with drug problem... it\'s really scaring me. help? in

[ QUOTE ]
it's fine to post it here, but this is another one where the psych forum (which has actual psychologists in there somtimes) might have better answers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw this thread while waking up with my coffee this frosty Monday morning, so I'll give it a shot. Unfortunately, as others have stated, there isn't much that you can do. It is difficult enough to help and support an addict who wants to stay clean and sober; it is nearly impossible to help someone like your friend who is on a self-destructive binge-ride until they hit rock-bottom, which for some people is a truly scary place.

The OP's best bet would likely be some type of "intervention," although I will be honest and state that I know little about how to do this. I would assume that there must be websites and/or books for how to try to attempt this. However, you would want to try to talk to her when she is not wasted--which may be quite a challenge it itself.

Short of attempting to convince her to get clean and sober, which is definately no better than a two outer, I would advise the OP to focus more on taking care of herself. Meaning, if the friend is a roommate (this wasn't clear from the post), try to take immediate action so that you are no longer living together, so that her lifestyle doesn't endanger you by the friends she keeps. Otherwise, I would just tell the OP to remind himself that there is little that he (she?) can do to help. Indeed, it is extremely painful to watch addicts spiral downwards into the abyss, especially when it is nearly impossible to help. It is OK to realize that you have the right to emotionally divest yourself from her at this time. You can be there to assist her if and when she asks for genuine help. Otherwise, just say a prayer and hope for the best.

Sincerely,

Dr. chesspain