View Single Post
Old 08-11-2005, 09:34 AM

Default Re: Ruling question, string bet or no?

I am almost positive that this is NOT a valid raise. If the player had announced "raise to $200," then he could go back to his stack as many times as he wanted. With no verbal indication of a raise amount, you must put all the raising chips out at once.

The idea that a player "can go into his stack as many times as he wants until he is finished, at which point he either announces the total raise, the amount he is raising the original bet, or motions to the dealer and/or player that he's done raising" is silly. Are you saying that for EVERY SINGLE raise in a NL game, a player needs to verbally or physically "motion" to the dealer that he is finished raising? This would slow the game down, allow for numerous angles, etc. Also, what is the standard "motion" to the dealer that you are finished raising?

For example, I say "raise," put out $100 chips and then sit motionless and wait for action to go around the table. Then I raise some more. <-- This cannot be allowed.

My view is that, without a verbal declaration of a raise amount, a raise is completed and action moves to the next player when the raiser places chips in the "betting area" and moves his hand away from the chips he just raised. Otherwise, how does the next player ever know that the action is on them?