View Single Post
Old 11-23-2005, 07:25 AM

Default Re: Fighting the SuperLAG: A Checkup

I am extremnely disappointed this post has not had more of a response. This is something that comes up from time-to-time here, but it is such an interesting question it certainly deserves plenty of exposure.

First of all RDH, if you are not familiar with Peter_Rus and his post on the _language of the LAG_ (in the archives now), which was a discussion mostly between Peter and myself on playing LAGs and variance.

Look here.

I want to discuss this more, but am a bit busy now but will say this:

I agree that LAGs can be pretty good at putting you on hands you can be pushed off AND where they have the advantage. Widening your steal range helps somewhat, but you need a very strong post-flop game to compete AND be ready for a lot of variance. Also, you can try to use their aggression and confuse them a little by using _dare I say it_ some PF completes/limps (with big hands and sooteds depending on the situations/previous hands). Obviously you can limp/3-bet hands this way. Similar for the Flop.

You seem to have a reasonable handle on his game, it should not be too hard to develop a strategy against it. You then need to consider how to make it hard for HIM to read/play you. You have lots of options and playing this kind of player can be very interesting (unless you are running bad, then it is just HELL) and extremely profitable, particularly if you can regularly embroil a calling station-type player in such exchanges. An extra caller can make for some huge pots.