View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 10:01 PM

Default Fighting the SuperLAG: A Checkup

I just wanted to check my thoughts on this, because I'm not very good at poker and I think this is the first player I've run acrose like this.

Villian is a multitabling LAG with stats of 40/34/2.79, with FTR aggro of 2.83/4/2.67 over about 1500 hands. ATSB is about 57%, FSB is 40%, FBB is about 25%. As for table reads, villian is perfectly happy to cap the flop against the preflop aggressor with as little as A-high plus a draw and others in the hand. A c/r seems to mean he's trying to milk money out of people with two pair or better on the big streets; I've never seen him c/r the flop, preferring to fire away. Generally a flop check means either set or better or he wants to fold ASAP. He rarely flat calls to defend his BB, and never from the SB. Its almost always a 3bet versus a steal, and then its off to the races HU firing and raising at nearly every chance with any sort of showdownable hand. He's not a complete idiot, because he can sometimes find a fold if the board is particularly bad for his low pair, and he's somewhat discerning pf. But he makes pretty bizarre choices sometimes. EX: Villian raises with A7o, both blinds call, Flop is JJx. Checked around on both the flop and turn. River is a blank, SB checks, BB bets, Villian raises, SB 3bets, BB folds, villian calls.

Thanks if you amde it through all of that. My questions:
How do you steal/defend against this guy? Defending I'd guess pound him pf with all big aces, all broadways, most pairs, and then play it from there, being more inclined to passivity so I don't get bluffed out of pots. But stealing? His numbers indicate he's playing a ton of hands from the blinds, which means I should really be able to open up my steal range. But he's also 3betting almost all of those hands, so its impossible to know where I'm at postflop. Just let him fire away with A-high and get to showdown?

I ended up just finding another table he was on and sitting to his left, since I felt more comfortable being in position mostly and defending rather than stealing (since my steals were getting eaten alive, for the most part). But I'd like to hear your thoughts, as well as any other discussion about this type of player.