View Single Post
Old 07-27-2005, 01:07 AM

Default Tossing QQ & pushing low set: too tight/too spewy?

I'd like to know if anyone sees tightness in the first hand or spewage in the second. At the time, I didn't feel too great about either of them, but I like them looking back. No reads on either player (no PT, multi-tabling, lazy, Matt Clement had just got beaned in the head by that line drive).

Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 8.25 BB

Pretty clear that A3/K3 can't be excluded, even with the cold call. I don't think I have the odds to call the turn.

Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (12.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

River: (16.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises.....</font>

Final Pot: 20.25 BB

Seems strange to be pushing bottom set so hard against a pfr with a 39TKA board. However, capping the flop was called for, since I'm ahead of everything he would be 3-betting with except 99/TT. I wouldn't expect him to slow-play the turn when I showed so much aggression on the flop, and a declined turn c-r is a strange way to slow-play a hand anyway. So his call excludes KK as well as 99/TT and QJ, which would have had the proper odds to catalyze the flop action the way he did.

His river bet--this seems more problematic. While playing the hand, I was thinking AK as an alternative to AA. But the flop action doesn't support that, except the sole combo AsKs. Any AT combo, held by a desparate call-down artist (common at these stakes), is also a distant possibility. Nine AT combos, one AsKs, and a bluff, compared to three AA, with the action much, much more suggestive of the latter than the former. In the end, probably not worth putting 2 more BB at risk by inducing a possible 3-bet. So, I change my mind again. Should've called there.