View Single Post
Old 10-07-2005, 11:25 AM

Default Re: OT: My mom wants me to be a poker pro

Finish school first. Seriously.
(In 2+2 parlance: get through levels 1-3 before pushing).
Some things to consider:
1.Your degree will give you an amazing amount of options. Poker pro can be one of them.
2.You can continue playing online while in school, so you're not missing out.
3. Poker money (except at the very,very,very extreme upper-end) is chump change compared to a lot of other things that a young person with a sharp mind can be doing and earning.. (Homework -- what did Phil Gordon do _before_ becoming a poker pro? What's owning 5% of a $20M company worth? What's it worth if you make a 6 figure salary while your at it?)
4. Shackling up financial needs to a game you love playing changes the relationship. It's fun now making money playing when you can take time off for studying; dating; seeing concerts; going to movies; sleeping 18 hours straight -- you get the idea. Pro means professional -- you'll have to hit hard and not slack off or you'll get smoked -- ie it's a lot like work. The thing to realise is that your progress and efforts are not linear. There will be times when you're not very productive nor very focused and other times you'll be on a tear. When your on salary it's no big deal -- you probably won't even notice it. When you're self-employed it's a tremendous stress and strain. Really.
5. Mom will eventually come to terms with your being a college graduate.