Thread: My typical day
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2005, 09:03 AM

Default Re: My typical day

[ QUOTE ]
LOL, i just reread the thread and noticed only one person wasn't living in 1950 still. Children that are put in daycare between the ages of 3 and 5 develop better reading skills, speech skills, social skills, and are more ready to adapt to changing social environments.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of the college students in this thread need to print out this quote and re-read it a couple of times.

My wife and I are both basically conservative traditionalists. When we had our first kid (he's 7 now), we were not happy about sending him to daycare but we thought that was a better all-around alternative than raising him on only one income. In hindsight, we were idiots to have been unhappy about it at all. Both our kids (our daughter is now 4 and has been in high-quality daycare since she was an infant) picked up reading and basic math skills way above those of most stay-at-home kids.

This is not just our lucky experience. Our son's kindergarten teacher told us last year that the gap between stay-at-home kids and day-cared kids is night and day in our community, probably because stay-at-home kids spend most of the day parked in front of the television.

On a semi-related note, both of our kids get pissy when we pull them out of daycare or after-school care on holidays, or if they have to be picked up early for some reason. When you were 7 you probably enjoyed playing with your friends more than watching a rerun of Jimmy Neutron on Nick too.